Chinese Driver's License
Driving in Sanya
If you are intend to stay in Sanya longer and drive yourself, you may need a Chinese driver’s license before you rent a car or purchase your own car.
Here is the steps for getting a Chinese driver’s license in Sanya:
First you have to manage to have a driver’s license issued in your home country or international driver’s license before your departure.
Only Mainland China driver licenses are valid in the Chinese mainland. Residents from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan also need to apply for a valid mainland Chinese driver license to drive in the Chinese mainland.
Below are the requirements and procedures to convert your current driver license into Chinese driver license in Sanya.
- An international driver license or a driver license issued in your home country.
- Passport and valid Chinese visa with validity stay of more than 90 days.
- 8 one-inch color pictures with white background (For your convenience, there is a photo shop inside the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau)
The procedures of getting a Chinese driver license in Sanya:
1. Have your valid Chinese visa (validity days of the visa must be more than 90 days and the visa types include tourist visa), driver license and passport translated into Chinese, you can have them translated by any qualified translator company.
2. Go to the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau for registration, providing passport size photos and doing health check at The Sanya Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
3. Register a date of the written test with the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau. There are about 100 questions in multiple languages on the test.
There is an examination material book (Chinese and English version) for you to study. 100 questions for text would be selected from the one thousand questions.
4. Once you have got through the written test, you will given a Chinese driver’s license by Sanya Traffic Police Bureau, which you must renew in every 6 years.
If you stay in Hainan for short periods of time, you can apply for temporary driving licenses. Please click here for the details.
For more information and inquires:
Sanya Automobile Administrative Office/三亚市公安局交警支队车管所
Address: 156, Fenghuang Road, Sanya/三亚市凤凰路156号
Bus: 9, 10, 11, and get off at Jiao Jing Zhi Dui Bus Stop
Working hours: 9:00am-12:00am & 3:00pm-6:00pm
The Sanya Center for Disease Control and Prevention 三亚疾病预防控制中心
Address: 674, Jiefang Road, Sanya /三亚市解放路674号
Tel: +86-898-8827 3769
Bus: 2, 4, 7, 10, 50, 52, 54, and get off at Ming Zhu Guang Chang Bus Stop
Working hours: 8:20am-12:00pm & 2:30pm-5:30pm