Plan Make it happen
Home > Plan > While You're Here > Road Safety in Sanya

Road Safety in Sanya

Updated: 2017-07-31 12:31:11


A guide to Sanya’s road safety, rules and regulations to make your driving holiday in Sanya safer and more enjoyable.


Driving in Sanya


If you get Chinese driver’s license, it is easy for you to rent a car from a car company. If you don’t, you must apply for a valid Chinese driver license. The driver’s license issued in your home country or international driver’s license is not recognized in China.


Only Mainland China driver licenses are valid in the Chinese mainland. Residents from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan also need to apply for a valid mainland Chinese driver license to drive in the Chinese mainland.


However, you should have obtained an international driver license or a driver license issued in your home country before you can apply for a Chinese driver license in Sanya. Below are the requirements and procedures to convert your current driver license into Chinese driver license in Sanya.


Conversion requirements:

- An international driver license or a driver license issued in your home country.

- Passport and valid Chinese visa with validity stay of more than 90 days.

- 8 one-inch color pictures with white background (For your convenience, there is a photo shop inside the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau)


The procedures of getting a Chinese driver license in Sanya:

1. Have your valid Chinese visa (validity days of the visa must be more than 90 days and the visa types include tourist visa), driver license and passport translated into Chinese, you can have them translated by any qualified translator company.


2. Go to the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau for registration, providing passport size photos and doing health check at The Sanya Center for Disease Control and Prevention.


3. Register a date of the written test with the Sanya Traffic Police Bureau. There are about 100 questions in multiple languages on the test.


There is an examination material book (Chinese and English version) for you to study. 100 questions for text would be selected from the one thousand questions.


4. Once you have got through the written test, you will given a Chinese driver’s license by Sanya Traffic Police Bureau, which you must renew in every 6 years.


For more information and inquires:


Sanya Automobile Administrative Office/三亚市公安局交警支队车管所
Address: 156, Fenghuang Road, Sanya/三亚市凤凰路156号
Tel: +86-898-88869015
Bus: 9, 10, 11, and get off at Jiao Jing Zhi Dui Bus Stop
Working hours: 9:00am-12:00am & 3:00pm-6:00pm


The Sanya Center for Disease Control and Prevention 三亚疾病预防控制中心

Address: 674, Jiefang Road, Sanya /三亚市解放路674号

Tel: +86-898-8827 3769

Bus: 2, 4, 7, 10, 50, 52, 54, and get off at Ming Zhu Guang Chang Bus Stop

Working hours: 8:20am-12:00pm & 2:30pm-5:30pm


Seatbelts must always be worn when driving. All passengers in the car must also wear seatbelts.


Obey the road signs
You should familiarise yourself with the road signs in Sanya and make sure you obey them. Traffics rules and road signs are found in the traffics rule book, get one from the Sanya Traffic Police Department.


Speed limits are enforced in Sanya
Speed limits are strictly enforced in Sanya. The maximum speed limit in highways is 120 km/h, and average speed on the streets in the city is around 40 km/h. Some roads do not have visible speed limit signs, but speed limits still apply. You should be especially careful in residential areas and in school zones.


Alcohol and drugs

Drug driving is totally prohibited in China and the driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is extremely dangerous and China has very serious penalties if you are caught doing this. Driving after taking drugs that affect your ability to drive is illegal and penalties are severe.


In China, drivers are considered drunk if they have 80 milligrams or more of alcohol for every 100 milliliters of blood. Drivers who test at more than 20 milligrams but less than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood are considered to be under the influence of alcohol.


Emergency assistance
Follow China’s road traffic rules at all times. Do not panic when traffic accidents occur. Call 122 to report traffic accidents. For any language assistance, please call 12345 or 12301 government service hotlines.